Export DWG to DGN workflow using Civil 3D
Last updated: 2020-10-26
This is a workflow to translate a Civil 3D DWG format file to a MicroStation DGN format file. The workflow is Civil 3D based and the final deliverable is a DGN file.
Export Civil 3D DWG to MicroStation DGN
- Open the target DWG to export.
- C3D Application Menu > Export > Export Civil 3D Drawing or EXPORTC3DDRAWING at the command line.
- The Export Autodesk Civil 3D Drawing dialog box will appear. Use the following settings:
- Export to file type: MicroStation DGN
- External DWG references: Bind and Insert
- Files to Export: Current drawing on
- Destination Folder: Click ... to choose the save location of the DGN.
- OPTIONAL: Enter a Destination file name prefix or Destination file name suffix to the exported DGN filenames.
- OPTIONAL: Checkmark: Include sheets (To also export layout sheets.)
In the Files to Export column, check or uncheck the files to be exported.
- In the Export Settings dialog box set the following:
Export file type: MicroStation DGN
- DGN file version: V8
- Conversion units: Master
- ... to select the Seed file: C:\WisDOT\Stnd\C3D20xx\Templates\Conversion\wisdot-seed3d.dgn
- Mapping setup: WisDOT DWG-DGN EXPORT
In the Export Autodesk Civil 3D Drawing dialog box Export .
The Export Status progress dialog will appear. Wait for the DGN(s) to be created. The export process may take some time to complete.
Warning: The Export to MicroStation DGN process doesn't always complete successfully. It will sometimes fail, hang, or crash Civil 3D without warning. If this happens contact firstname.lastname@example.org for troubleshooting help.
- When the button is no longer grayed out, click OK to dismiss the Export Status progress dialog.
- Click the exit button (X) to close the Export Autodesk Civil 3D Drawing dialog box.
- Individual DGN files will be exported to the folder specified, one DGN for model space and one DGN for each individual layout (if layouts are selected).